Pork with Mushrooms
I didn’t think I could bring in this dish for under £1 a head however, a special offer at the local supermarket meant I was able to buy pork steaks (pack of twelve for £6) for 50p each.
I had half a pot of single cream left over from the previous day and also some mushrooms. The basic ingredients therefore dictated the choice of recipe;
- Four pork steaks
- Eight mushrooms
- One large onion
- Red pepper (about a quarter)
- Clove of garlic
- Dash of tomato ketchup
- Splash of single cream or crème fresh
- Tarragon (fresh or dried)
- Parsley (fresh or dried)
- Chicken stock cube
- Seasoning to taste
- Vegetables found lurking in fridge (potatoes, carrots and curly kale).
- Put peeled potatoes in steamer, add other vegetables about ten minutes later
- Dice mushrooms (after cleaning), pepper, onion, garlic
- Heat a small amount of oil in frying pan and fry off diced ingredients
- Add herbs and tomato ketchup
- Add steaks
- Add stock cube and a little water
- About three minutes before vegetables are cooked, add cream to steak pan and bring to gentle simmer.
Quick and easy meal to make after work and can be cooked in the time it takes to steam the potatoes (roughly twenty to twenty-five minutes depending on size).
NB: I might try it with pasta or couscous next time.
I have a bit of a risotto obsession having had it as a starter at a wedding recently, so am working on some variations to share soon.